Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Delirium

title: Delirium
author: Lauren Oliver
published: February 1st, 2011
publisher: HarperTeen
series: Delirium, book 1 of 3

synopsis from Goodreads: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn't understand that once love -- the delirium -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 


But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


the cover: This is the cover for the hardcover special edition and for the paperback. (I read the hardcover) I love this cover. It's pretty and compelling. The original cover was really cool also.

my opinion: Delirium is everything I want in a dystopian YA novel. Everything. Not only does it have oppressive government, realistic world and characters, rebellion, romance, and good friendships, but it is really well written. Lauren Oliver's prose is absolutely beautiful. There is a lot of imagery in this book. It was almost like watching a movie. I never got bored, either. There was never a spot in this book where I was just hoping to get past it and into another scene. The characters are relatable and realistic. I want to know them. I want to be their friends.

Delirium is a bit lengthy. It's over 400 pages. But never did it feel like a 400 page novel. It went by very quickly and it was so good! I loved it!

I can't wait to read the short story Hana, and then the sequel, Pandemonium. I will definitely be starting on those tonight.

I give Delirium five hearts.



1 comment:

  1. yay! I'm glad you liked it! They're such good books!

    ReplyDelete