Monday, July 2, 2012

Destined

title: Destined
author: Aprilynne Pike
published: May 1st, 2012
series: Wings, book 4 of 4

Synopsis from Goodreads: Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear. 


He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.


She hated how much it felt like good-bye.


Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful-and deadly- of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.

The cover: I absolutely love this cover. It looks very nice with the three books before it, and somehow, it just seems to fit the plot. The colors are dark and cool. The book is the end of the series, and it feels final to me. The colors are similar to those in the first book which gives this one a sense of coming all the way around. A sense of finality.
My opinion: I have been invested in this series for years. I was not disappointed by this final installment. For the most part, it flowed nicely and I didn't struggle too much with trying to remember what happened in the third book, Illusions, from a year before.

A really cool thing about this novel is that it takes place over just a few days, a very intense few days. The characters go through a lot in very little time. That reminded me of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Toward the end, a lot happened in only a short period time. Another thing I liked is that it takes place in Avalon. Very little is in the human world.

The character David takes on a much bigger role in this novel than he has in the previous three. Sure, he was important and did a lot for the main character, Laurel. However, in this novel, we get a good look at the capabilities of human David.

Laurel has to make her big decision in this novel. Human David who she has spent so much time with and who has kept her secret, or faerie Tamani, who has been hiding and protecting her for her entire "human" life and who has loved her for longer than she can remember. Finally, we get an answer!

One complaint I have is that a lot of time is spent on fighting with trolls. I couldn't get into the book at that point, and it took me a very long time to get through. I didn't really want to read it anymore. Someone I know asked me if I read the book yet, and that made me want to finish. Once I got past the repetitive fight sequence, I couldn't put the book down!

All in all, I am very pleased with the ending to this series. I am so glad to have gotten it for my birthday several years ago.

I give it four hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment